Sunday, February 15, 2009

Being 2


It's funny how it comes on. Only about 2 months ago, Emily started getting alot more spunk in her personality. Emily is my 2-year-old (well, her birthday is next month). She has gotten alot more fond of making up her own mind (which is ok with some things, but not for others) and has worked out she can say no, and mean it.


Alas, to gently train a child in the ways she should go is harder than it seemed when she was small enough to be in the same place as I left her when I re-entered the room!!


I have found that the skill of being calm and positive during my pregnancy and Emily's birth has spread into my world as a parent. When Emily decides she'd like to do something her way, especially when it really isn't appropriate, I simply (ha ha) tell her "not right now" in a calm voice...

I'm a big believer in the saying: "if at first you don't succeed - try, try again". This can leave me saying things like, "Screaming is for danger" about 20 times a day, but after repeating this routine over Emily's 'screaming phase' (the past month) she has finally started to realise that unless she's in danger, we really would prefer that she doesn't scream! Same goes with the kick, yell and throw something when she can't manage to work it out - frustration. Emily has now worked out it takes much less energy to say "Help, please" and she knows that I will show her how it works and then let her have a try.


Oh, the joys of parenting a toddler! Let me just say that it is definitely well worth it, even on our worst days.

I've realised it is a journey for all of us, not a destination!! Parenting helps you deal with the worst of your traits, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment